Friday, September 26, 2008

My Village People

After Navnights end the after parties begin every Wednesday night at UCCS. It's been a point of joy for me to connect relationally with so many students during these late night shindigs.

This past Wednesday night we piled into cars and made our pilgrimage to the iconic late night diner wooing us into the parking lot with the soft glow of its neon orange piping. Figures of cookies and cream milkshakes frosting over their cute glassy containers had been floating through my head all day. I'm pretty sure I mentioned I was getting one of these to every person I crossed paths with that day (strangers not exempt from this information).

Food and people, what better two combinations? Our small army of collegiates commandeered half the restaurant and began the orders of pies and fries and pancakes and did I mention milkshakes?? I sat at the end of a long stretch of tables with three freshmen that fill my heart with joy. As the night progressed it only solidified my love for them as we laughed over knitting and accents and other less substantial subject matters.

After dropping my new UCCS friends back off at the dorms I praised God for the opportunity to be a part of their lives; to be a part of their journey of finding and holding tight to Truth. Before I knew them, I was praying for these three students, and here they are, gifts from God.

Starting with milkshakes, moving into trust, and growing into people who love Jesus.

1 comment:

Carrie said...

Hi Lauren! I like reading your blog. Thanks for sharing you life.