Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Transfer of Kingdoms

Think back with me to Spring Semester 08 at UCCS. The cold claws of winter tearing at my pink puffy vest, snow on the ground crunchy from the few warm rays that broke through the frigid atmosphere, and me and a UCCS student with a small white sheet of paper. Scribbled on it, a name and dorm room number, and an open door to come talk about the Gospel.

Knocking on that dorm room door that night connected me with an intelligent and fiery sophomore named Christina. Full of facts and figures and equipped with a scientific brain that defies my overly gooey feelings and emotions, we embarked on a friendship based on a mutual love for Panera Bread.

Each time we approached the topic of religious items, doubt extinguished any truth that approached the vicinity of her heart. It was like a wet blanket draped over her heart, weighing it down and preventing access to it.

After nearly eight months of praying for Christina and trying to explain God in scientific matters (which for me is like a four year old trying to explain how a microwave works, actually as a 25 year old, that still remains a great mystery to me), she asked to go to The Navigator collegiate fall conference called, Journey. Thrilled, I spilled the logistics over the phone and got her signed up for some stellar workshops.

This weekend, Christina went to Journey and the wet blanket of her heart began to dry up and dissolve. She said she felt numb and longed to experience what the other 500 students were experiencing when they talked about their relationship with God and worshipped him in song. On the Sunday morning, hours before the end of the conference, Christina and I read God's word. I challenged her to believe with her heart and not just rationalize with her brain.

That morning the speaker, Johnny Square, gave a powerful message and an invitation to receive God's love. In that auditorium, the Holy Spirit was working, people were praying, God was drawing Christina to himself and there, she walked down the stairs and through faith said, I want Jesus Christ in my life.

"For he has rescued us from the dominion of darkness and brought us into the kingdom of the Son he loves, in whom we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins." Colossians 1:13-14

Christina, once captive to the darkness, now stands in the kingdom of the Son of God, redeemed and fully forgiven.

Please pray for Christina as she grows in the knowledge and love of God, and as she reads and memorizes the Word of God.

1 comment:

Rachofel said...

LJ! So exciting!!! I love hearing about this:) I have an exciting story in my newsletter..that's on its way to your door:) Love you and can't wait to see you soon!!!

love, Rachel