Wednesday, March 18, 2009

No Tripping Allowed

"Therefore since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses. . ." I enthusiastically waved my hands around in exaggerated motions to symbolize a great cloud. That summer of 2004 I remember flapping my arms and making funny motions to help kids learn the camp memory verses, Hebrews 12:1-2. It continues, "let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance, the race marked out for us. Let us fix our eyes on Jesus. . ."

I've always loved those verses. I can so clearly picture a runner, shoes rhythmically hitting the pavement, one after another, expending every last ounce of energy to get to the finish line. This past weekend, I was the runner, in real life, completing my first 5k; insignificant to the elite runner's world, but an accomplishment for me, the lay jogger.

My friend, Meredith, who serves with The Navigators at The University of Colorado (CU-Boulder), came down to run with me. She's experienced, fast, and full of energy. She was my cloud of witnesses on Saturday, keeping me on pace and heading toward the goal. We prepped our race with some "running" passages and Hebrews 12:1-2 came up, reminding me that when I run, I have to persevere. And believe me, that moment came, when Meredith looked at me and said, "less than a mile!" And I turned to her and through my pants said, "Yay!" even though I secretly wanted to trip myself and lie in the street to catch my breath.

But I finished (without tripping myself) and we drank our water and ate the celebratory bagels and oranges as we walked around the park waiting for the St. Patrick's Day parade to start.

What a great physical reminder to run the race of life with perseverance. The Spring semester at UCCS is in full swing with a host of activities, one on ones, and lots of Bible study. I'm exhausted at times, but those moments are when I need to fix my eyes on the goal, Jesus, and look at my cloud of witnesses to cheer me on.

Meredith and I after persevering the 5k on St. Patrick's Day in Colorado Springs.

No comments: