Tuesday, October 27, 2009

We didn't start the fire

I remember running toward the thick black smoke through the maze of condos a few months ago. Coming back from an afternoon hike I saw the dark cloud, heard the sirens, and instinctively knew my life was changing.

When I arrived and saw the flames pilaging the inside of the condos three things went through my mind: 1. Oh my gosh, all my stuff is gone. . .and I'm wearing my ancient faded green shorts. 2. Did I start the fire?! and 3. "You will keep in perfect peace him whos mind is steadfast, because he trust in you." Isaiah 26:3

After the initial shock, I went around interviewing people to try and discover the cause of the fire. "Excuse me, did I start the fire?!" I'd ask. Hmm, perhaps I should have thought through my statements a little better. And why didn't I pick my favorite pair of jeans to go hiking in.

In a few short hours, my life was becoming exceedingly more complex, yet more simple. I was immediately awarded the coveted "minimalist" title that had been held since birth by my friend, Suz.

What I experienced that afternoon was an angelic chorus of provision surrounding my soul. Theresa, a stranger, cradled me in her arms and sung sweet prayers over me. My friend Kim sat on the grass with me for hours while I made phone calls and talked to firemen. Allison, another friend, came up to me and said, "I want to be here for you, and I'll stay if you need me, but would you like me to go get you some underwear?" I laughed-so thoughtful! "Yes, please, and a cell phone charger." "Done," she replied, and she was off. That evening I had cookies waiting for me, dozens of housing offers, and a tiny stuffed panda bear from a three year old girl who heard mine had perished in the fire.

The blessings didn't stop at 12:01 the next day. No. For the next two months I saw the Family of God rally around me and generously giving and providing. From towels to dishes, to gift cards to money, to meals and beds, I was flooded with love.

I am so grateful for my God and his people. I am so humbled. What the Psalmist said is true, "The Lord has done great things for [me] and I am filled with joy." Psalm 126:3






Posing in front my my condo in the infamous survior shorts and my 'life is good' towel.

A little roommate reunion: I lived with these beautiful women in 2270 Stepping Stones Way (prefire, that is).


No comments: